By Olivia McFadyen, Organic Way of living Magazine
Superfoods are just that– very foods! Although there are few dictionaries that specify the word, the typically comprehended meaning of a superfood is a food that packs a big dietary punch– a whole food that contains a high concentration of nutrients.
Superfoods work in synergy with your body systems, promoting regular cell function and avoiding mutations at a cellular level, improving your body immune system and avoiding chronic conditions. So yep, they are pretty extremely!
What’s more, they support weight reduction, assist you keep the weight off, support your gut wellness and food digestion, boost your resistance, balance prospective dietary insufficiencies, and promote health! In order to gain all their benefits, attempt to include them in your diet plan daily.
Here’s a list of my leading 6 superfoods that control blood glucose levels, lower sugar cravings and improve your energy. (I attempted to restrict myself to 5 Superfoods, but it was simply too difficult!)
My Top 6 Superfoods:
Get the best Fitness Tips at Fitness Tips
1. Oily Fish — Salmon, Tuna, Mackerel, Herring, Sardines
Oily fish are high in protein, vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids, including Omega 3. These fish:
- Support healthy hormones- aid fertility and pregnancy
- Aid with fat loss
- Promote wound healing and skin integrity
Aim for 3 servings of oily fish per week
Did you understand that garlic is one of nature’s natural antibiotics? It:
- Boosts your immune system
- Reduces cold and flu symptoms
- Contains anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-parasitic properties
Aim for 1-2 garlic cloves per day
3. Eco-friendly, Leafy Veggies– Kale, Spinach, Collard, Mustard, and Turnip Greens, Swiss Chard, Rocket, Broccoli
These contain powerful anti-oxidants that lower cell destruction and prevent illness, not to mention they offer wonderful anti-ageing advantages! Furthermore they:
- Support liver wellness and detoxification processes
- Alkalise your body, assisting to avoid disease
- Reduce swelling and pain, particularly in muscles and joints
Aim for one salad a day, and add green leafy vegetables to any stir-fry, soup or smoothie.
Blueberries consist of anthocyanins, a naturally happening pigment that provides them their blue color, which is a powerful anti-oxidant. They’ll help to:
- Balance hormone levels
- Promote healthy skin
- Support fat burning and weight management
Aim to consume a handful a day– fresh or frozen.
5. Cacao Beans– Raw, Unprocessed Chocolate
Cacao beans include the greatest wholefood source of magnesium, which:
- Supports concentration and memory by increasing blood flow to the brain
- Regulates blood sugar levels
- Supports normal muscle function, including your heart– after all your heart is one big muscle!
6. Spirulina– Blue Environment-friendly Algae (dried out and offered in powdered or capsule form)
Spirulina provides the greatest source of protein on this planet, even more than any meat can provide. Protein is perfect for:
- Boosting energy and cellular health
- Regulating appetite
- Protecting your liver from damage triggered by heavy metals
Superfood Blueberry Smoothie Dish:
Let us face it, in our hectic, disorderly and often demanding lives it can be difficult to eat the advised intake of 5 veggies daily. There’s no simpler or healthier method to begin your day then mixing up a bunch of veggies and delighting in a green (or in this case, a purple) healthy smoothie.
- 250mls of coconut water or almond milk
- ½ frozen banana
- 1 handful of blueberries
- ½ avocado
- 3 kale stalks (utilize the leaves and dispose of the tough stalks) or a handful of child spinach
Add whatever of these you’ve on hand:
- 1 tsp of Spirulina
- 1 tsp of chia seeds
- 1 tsp of goji berries
- 1-2 teaspoons of cacao nibs (for a chocolate twist)
- Blend all components and blitz till smooth.
- Drink right away (or keep in the refrigerator for up to one hour)
* Images of’woman’, ‘salmon’, ‘cacao beans’ and ‘smoothie’ by means of Shutterstock